How to Use Your Inhaler
Metered Dose Inhaler
How to Use a Metered-Dose Inhaler “Puffer”
A metered-dose inhaler, called an MDI for short, is a pressurized inhaler that delivers medication by using a propellant spray.
To use an MDI:
- Shake the inhaler well before use (3 or 4 shakes)
- Remove the cap
- Breathe out, away from your inhaler
- Bring the inhaler to your mouth. Place it in your mouth between your teeth and close you mouth around it.
- Start to breathe in slowly. Press the top of you inhaler once and keep breathing in slowly until you have taken a full breath.
- Remove the inhaler from your mouth, and hold your breath for about 10 seconds, then breathe out.
If you need a second puff, wait 30 seconds, shake your inhaler again, and repeat steps 3-6. After you’ve used your MDI, rinse out your mouth and record the number of doses taken.
Store all puffers at room temperature